There's always the question of "What's for lunch?" This recipe is a poignant answer to that question. This is my first published recipe ever. Hopefully you don't think it sucks.
I think that this recipe is way better if you use Better Than Bouillon No-Chicken Broth and cook the quinoa a day in advance. This recipe comes together in about 10 minutes if you already have the quinoa made. Since my husband and I are broke, this recipe is also pretty cheap to make... especially if you buy quinoa in bulk, cook your chickpeas from scratch, and score .60 packs of wraps at Big Lots. Vegenaise can get a tad pricey but one jar lasts quite a long time!
Cheezy Quinoa Chickpea Burritos with Smoked Mayo
½ cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup no-chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup frozen or 2 cups fresh chopped kale
½ cup frozen corn kernels
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 ½ cups cooked or 1 15oz can chickpeas
½ cup daiya shredded cheddar cheeze
Freshly ground black pepper
4 whole wheat flour tortillas
For the mayo:
4 tablespoons vegenaise
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Briefly heat quinoa to let any excess rinsing water evaporate. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. While quinoa is standing, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the kale and sauté until thawed or soft. Add the corn kernels and cook until they are thawed, about 2 minutes. Add the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir well.
3. Add quinoa and chickpeas and cook, stirring frequently, until heated through. When the mixture is hot, add the daiya. Season mixture to taste with pepper.
4. Mix together the vegenaise and the smoked paprika.
5. Slather a tablespoon of smoked mayo on each wrap before filling with the quinoa mixture. Roll up like a burrito and enjoy!